Bone Grafting PRGF Factor
What is Plasma Rich in Growth Factors (PRGF)?
Plasma Rich in Growth Factors (PRGF) is a blood product that contains concentrated levels of a patient’s own growth factors. Growth factors are signaling molecules that tell stem cells in the body to differentiate into different cells such as bone and tissue. They are responsible for the managing how the body heals. Increasing the number and concentration of growth factors at a healing wound not only increases the speed of healing, but can increase the quality and quantity of new bone and tissue. This is extremely beneficial when grafting and preparing a site in the mouth for an implant.
What is PRGF Used For?
- Bone grafting in preparation for dental implants
- Sinus Lift Procedures
- Repair of bone defects after removal of teeth or small cysts
- Repair of fistulas between the sinus cavity and mouth
- Repair of cleft lip and cleft palate defects
What are the advantages of PRGF?
- Safe: Since PRGF is a product of the patient’s own blood there is no risk for disease transmission.
- Convenient: This is performed in the office using a small amount of the patient’s own blood. It is done during the same surgical procedure and does not add any significant time to the procedure.
- Better Healing: Increased stem cell differentiation leads to faster healing with a better end result.
- Cost Effective: Because this is done in the office, the patient does not incur the same expenses as if it were in a hospital or blood bank.